Security features and tips
Keep your account secure
What can I do to keep my Facebook account secure?
Below are a few and simple things you can do to keep your account secure:
Protect your password
- Don’t use your Facebook password on a non-trusted platforms.
- Your password shouldn’t easy be to guess, so don’t use your name or common words.
- You can learn more about creating a strong password here.
Never share your login information
- Scammers may create fake websites that look similar to Facebook and requires you to log in with your email and password.
- Always check the website’s URL before you enter your login information. When in doubt, type facebook.com into your browser to get to Facebook.
- Don’t ever forward emails from Facebook to other people, as they may contains sensitive information related to your account.
- Click here to learn more about avoiding phishing.
Always remember to logout of public computer.
Don’t accept friend requests from strange people
- Scammers may create fake accounts to send you a friend request. Never make a mistake in accepting such request.
- Becoming friends with scammers might allow them to spam your timeline, tag you in posts and forward you malicious messages.
Watch out for malicious software
- Malicious software can cause harm to a computer, server or computer network.
- Learn the signsof an infected computer or device and how to remove malicious software.
- Make sure your web browser is up to date and remove suspicious applications or browser add-ons.
Never click suspicious links, even if they appear to come from a friend or a company you know
- This includes links on Facebook (e.g. on posts) or in emails.
- Bear in mind that Facebook will never send you email requesting for your password.
- If you see a suspicious link on Facebook, report it.